September 29, 2020

Middle of the week Spaghetti with Lobster!

Posted on January 24, 2011 by in seafood

Eating lobster in the middle of the week is how my husband measures whether blogging is a feasible profession or not. I see a few raised eyebrows so let me explain. He often asks me how I motivate myself to keep on doing what I  am doing,
getting up in the wee hours of the morning to write or crawling on my hands and knees for the perfect shot. Apart from having a ball, my answer to him is always ……it justifies eating lobster in the middle of the week. Having said that, anyone who lives here in Cape Town or come here for holidays, knows it is almost impossible to get your hands on fresh lobster, unless of course you are willing to pay through your nose or buy from unauthorized dealers. So having lobster  in the middle of the week, I can assure you, is definitely not a weekly occurrence in our household. It helps if you have family and friends who all have licences and all other necessary equipment and who are sensible about how much and when they can catch lobster. Long gone are the days when we had a lobster braai every night of our holiday and when we could serve two lobsters per portion. These days I have to be pretty innovative with recipes to make that lobster stretch so that everyone in the family can have a morsel.

By the way, did you know that no person catching West Coast Rock Lobster with a recreational permit MAY SELL LOBSTER. So if you bought a whole bag of lobster tails for a ridiculous price of R50 you may unbeknown to you, be as guilty as the guys who caught them in the first place.

West Coast rock lobster recreational fishing season is open from 15 November 2010 to 25 April 2011,  but before you start catching these delicate sea creatures and invite friends and family for your first ever crayfish derby, conditions do apply and fishing will only be permitted between certain dates:
15 – 21 November 2010 – fishing allowed every day
27 November – 12 December 2010 – fishing allowed on weekends and public holidays
13 -31 December 2010: fishing allowed every day
1 – 16 January 2011 – fishing allowed on weekends and public holidays
22 – 25 April 2011: fishing allowed on weekends and public holidays.
No fishing is allowed on any day falling outside these periods and recreational permit-holders may fish between 08:00 and 16:00 only.
“Please remember that our ecology is sensitive and our biodiversity precious, so only four lobsters with a minimum size of 80mm can be caught per person per day.
Permits are obtainable from the Post Office or from the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Department’s customer services centre at the Foretrust Building, Foreshore in Cape Town.”
The cost of the permit this year is R87. For more info in this regard, visit this site!

Enough of the legalities and on with the food. Simple, yet flavorsome and yes a little lobster brought on quite a few happy smiles.

Middle of the week Spaghetti with Lobster
Serves 4

6 lobster tails or 4 lobsters
500gr spaghetti
250gr cream cheese
fresh parsley or spring onions
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion – finely chopped
zest and juice of 1 lemon
salt/pepper
2 cups fish stock
olive oil

Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Place another pot on the stove and heat the oil. Saute the onions and garlic and then add the lobster. Add the fish stock, place the lid back on and boil until the lobster has turned bright red. Spoon lobster out of the stock and strain the stock back into the pot. Add the cream cheese to the stock and let it reduce to a thicker consistency. In the meantime, remove the lobster flesh from the shells, slices into smaller chunks and place back into the creamy liquid. Add the parsley or chopped spring onions and season with salt and pepper. Strain the spaghetti and stir into the creamy lobster sauce. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and some garlicy bread.
Voila, Lobster in the middle of the week!

Seeing that today is Meatless Monday, I think we will celebrate this week’s meat free day with some lobster, if that is alright with you! If you are still eating too much red meat, why not join the campaign and begin with only 1 day a week!

My other Meatless Monday Recipes are:

3 Course Sandwich

Vegetable Chip ‘n Dip

Snoek Terrine

Eggplant Antipasto

I believe there are only a few places left for this year’s Foodbloggers Indaba on 20 February, so please book now to avoid a major dissapointment. This year it is going to be bigger and better than last year and I will be talking about foodstyling and photography with my most talented friends Jeanne the Cooksister and Sam from Drizzle and Dip!

Tags:

14 Responses to “Middle of the week Spaghetti with Lobster!”

1. Alida 24 January 2011 at 8:24 am #

Absolutely Divine Nins! I could scoff an entire pot full of that right now!

2. NuNuZa 24 January 2011 at 10:49 am #

This looks 'dangerous' in the sense that once you start you definitely won't be able to stop..or you'll stop when the button of your pants pops open hahah

lovely post. Wish I lived near the sea man

3. Marisa 24 January 2011 at 11:56 am #

Sjoe, what a luxurious weeknight meal.

PS: love the beach-y styling!

4. My Carolina Kitchen 24 January 2011 at 1:54 pm #

It's so true that a luxurious meal such as lobster will make a person do anything including crawling around for the perfect shot. As always, fabulous photos Nina.

5. sam 24 January 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Nina, loving that beach scene;-). Certainly very indulgent and luxurious for a week night, but what the hell, any night is a good night to eat something as wonderful as this!

6. Jan 24 January 2011 at 4:26 pm #

Nina you've made me really hungry – I could eat that right now!!

7. bellini valli 24 January 2011 at 4:43 pm #

If only I lived on the east coast of Canada where I could find all the lobsters I needed to have lobster every day of the week for pasta!!!!

8. Christie @ Fig and Cherry 25 January 2011 at 5:36 am #

Wow, deliciously posh! In Sydney we have access to good (and legal), and relatively inexpensive lobster so I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks Nina!

9. Juliana 25 January 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Nina, what a delicious seafood pasta dish…so tasty…indeed a great weekday meal 🙂

10. emiglia 26 January 2011 at 1:33 am #

I remember loving lobster as a kid. My dad sometimes let me order it in restaurants, and we would get a kick out of the waitress' eyes bulging out of her head at the seven-year-old who wanted lobster! (Dad helped 😉 )

11. Adele 27 January 2011 at 7:51 am #

This looks gorgeous! I'm not sure if I'll be able to limit myself to weeknights. I definitely need to check out lobster supply here in Melbourne, you've inspired me now!

12. Adele 27 January 2011 at 7:51 am #

13. Jeanne @ CookSister! 8 February 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Mmmm, lobster on a weeknight! Sounds wonderfully illicit, doesn't it?? I know there is a strict lobster season, but did not know that the rules are so complicated! The pasta sounds glorious and a good way to make a lobster go a long way 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Spaghetti with Black Olives, Anchovies and Mint - August 6, 2014

[…] Spaghetti is the second most popular pasta worldwide…….. can you guess which pasta takes the No.1 spot? Fusilli, or better known as the  “corkscrew pasta”, is apparently consumed most out of all the pastas available. Spaghetti is like a clean canvas, the possibilities are endless and you can literally have a different kind of pasta for a year and still not have made a dent in the pasta recipes available in books and online! Think vegetarian with this easy Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara, or make a more traditional one and just serve it differently. With spaghetti you can go Asian and make this Crunchy Noodle Salad from Ina Carten or take a weeknight dinner up a notch and make this delicious Lobster Spaghetti! […]