September 27, 2020

Berry Delicious Breakfast Smoothie

Posted on January 26, 2011 by in desserts

Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cloud berries, gooseberries…any kind for that matter, I love them all. A couple of years ago berries were mostly used in sweet desserts, tarts or cakes, but these days berries are used with great success in savory dishes too. Heaven forbid, I even used it in a sandwich the other morning when I had my chat on the radio!
There is something so festive and intense about berries, that the saying “dynamite comes in small packages” is quite applicable to the burst of flavor you get from eating berries. Imagine…………
starting your day with some berries, I think there is something quite positive and energetic about that.Berries are packed with vitamins, nutrients, anti-oxidants and all the other goodness Mother Nature has to offer! It is not called Natures #1 anti-oxidant fruit for nothing! There are various publications online about the medicinal and healing properties of berries, so I will not bore you with that, but you can take it from me, berries are good for you so eat as much as you can in season and freeze some for the winter months. In fact, frozen is the only way I use the berries that I add to my smoothies. This way they make the shake thick and frothy.

Before I share today’s recipe, a few hints and tips regarding smoothies.

– take all the bananas in your fruit basket that are over ripe(the ones the children hate eating) Peel them, cut in chunks and freeze in a Ziploc bag.
– freeze berries in summer to use in winter
– use plain low fat yogurt to make them slightly less harmful to your hips
– don’t be afraid to experiment with flavors like adding a piece of ginger or even a herb or spice like mint or a pinch of chili powder.

– drink the smoothies as soon as you have made them, they are at their best then
In the mood yet?

Berry Delicious Breakfast Smoothie

serves 4 big glasses or 8 shot glasses

4 frozen bananas
125gr blueberries – fresh or frozen
125gr raspberries – fresh of frozen
250ml low fat yogurt
a little milk
1-2 tbsp of runny honey
a few fresh raspberries for garnishing
a few tbsp of muesli or granola for garnishing

Place all the ingredients, except for the garnishing in your blender and blend until thick and smooth. If you wish, you can add some more muesli to your mixture, it is after all a liquid breakfast. Pour into glasses and serve with a drizzle of granola and a fresh raspberry!

Other very refreshing  drinks that you might want to try :

Tags:

9 Responses to “Berry Delicious Breakfast Smoothie”

1. bellini valli 26 January 2011 at 6:38 am #

You can never go wrong with berries , honey and yogurt Nina!

2. Marisa 26 January 2011 at 8:57 am #

That's it! I want to have breakfast at your house in future. Between this lovely smoothie and your yummy egg dishes I'll be spoilt for choice.

3. NuNuZa 26 January 2011 at 11:28 am #

LOVE your photographs

4. My Carolina Kitchen 26 January 2011 at 3:05 pm #

I love it – "use low fat yogurt to make them slightly less harmful to your hips." Great tip Nina.

5. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 27 January 2011 at 1:15 am #

What a great way to start the day! I need to make more smoothies!

6. Adele 27 January 2011 at 1:46 am #

I agree, beautiful photos. I love frozen berries, I only ever buy fresh ones if I need something to keep my girl happy and sitting down in the shops (the price doesn't change if you take a few out, you see. I'm so glad my child is at a stage where I can bribe her with food)

7. chocswirl 27 January 2011 at 7:43 pm #

Looks healthy and delicious, I'm in. Any suggestions on how to get a good texture If you don't like bananas? Coz the taste always over powers everything for me.

8. Ishay 2 February 2011 at 3:12 pm #

Hey Nina
    I just read your post now- as you'd have read from my smoothie post today, I agree with you. Adore mint + ginger in smoothies and there's no need to do anything more than stash the berries in their plastic containers in the freezer. Really good way to drink up those vitamins in the mornings.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blueberry Yogurt Muffins - Deliciously good for you! - My Easy Cooking - July 13, 2018

[…] always have Blueberries in my fridge or freezer. They are like little vitamin bombs, perfect to make a quick smoothie when you are pushed for time. My favorite way to use blueberries though is in baking. I love how […]