December 12, 2018

Chicken Breyani-My recipe is now officially famous!

Posted on March 9, 2011 by in Chicken

Chicken breyani seems to have made my blog famous some time last year. I had no idea how in demand it will become. It is the one recipe on my blog that has done extremely well for me and in about 24 hours, I had thousands of viewers visiting my site to view this recipe.

Chicken Breyani, really? t is again proof to me, that sometimes it is the simple and uncomplicated things in life that attract the most attention. This easy breyani recipe with its humble beginning in my kitchen features often, not only at MY OWN table but……
It has been on Food24, News24 and in Crush 4 Magazine. Tomorrow morning however, my chicken breyani will make its TV debut on the Expresso Show. I will be cooking with my foodie hero Michael Olivier and I think you will be amazed to see how we are going to pull it off in 5 minutes flat.

chicken breyani

So what makes this recipes so unique? Well, if you are interested, this is what I think!

1. People LOVE  chicken breyani, I think it must be the one of the most popular Indian recipes

2. It is quick
3. Requires minimum ingredients, delivers maximum taste
4. It is an online recipe that you can print and still go home and make for supper.

Personally I like this easy  chicken breyani recipe, because it is light and fresh while “authentic” breyani” can sometimes be heavy and over spiced. ( I have no intention of offending anyone who cooks a good breyani, but let’s face it, there are some really bad ones out there!) So without further ado, here is my famous Easy Breyani Recipe…

chicken breyani

1 sachet Spice Mecca Breyani Spice Mix
Serving suggestions

1 boiled egg
1 tomato – de-seeded and finely chopped
chopped coriander
toasted almond slivers
½ cup sultanas or chopped dried apricots

Heat the oil in a pot and add onion and all the spices. Stir and  brown slightly and allow to soften. Add the chicken or lentils and just stir through. Add the rice and stock and simmer for about ½ hour until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning. Dish up and dress with the almonds, chopped tomato, a boiled egg and chopped coriander.

chicken breyani

The Expresso Show airs on SABC 3 here in South Africa. We will be on just after 7. For those of you with DSTV, it is Channel 133.

Thank you for your support!

For those of you who do not know, I now have a radio  once a week.
Thursday Mornings –   RSG between 9-10 you can listen to me online or if you live here in South Africa you can tune into 100-104FM.

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Chicken Breyani-My recipe is now officially famous!”

1. Junglefrog 10 March 2011 at 12:00 am #

27.0000 views…. O my god, that is incredible!! Not to mention all the other good things that have happened to this recipe. Wow… Congratulations on the tv show too! Will it be posted on the internet after the show? I would love to see it too!

2. bellini valli 10 March 2011 at 4:51 am #

Congratulations on everything Nina!!!!Briyani really is a delicious dish in all of its forms.

3. TheGourmetCoffeeGuy 10 March 2011 at 6:27 am #

Great post and photos. Breyani is delicious and your recipe is really terrific. Thank you for sharing.

4. Marisa 10 March 2011 at 8:52 am #

I am so so proud of you Nina! I tuned in this morning – fuzzy reception and all, and even though I could just barely see your & Michael's outlines (we've got reaaaaaally bad reception), I could tell you're a complete natural! You're definitely going places – and fast. 🙂 You deserve it!!!

5. Dirk 10 March 2011 at 10:32 am #

Congratulations! It is amazing!

6. Rose&Thorn 10 March 2011 at 12:30 pm #

I've always known you were made for greatness, so glad the rest of the world has caught on! Lovely recipe, wonderful cook and fantastic friend and most of my favourite blogger!
    Well done on the fame!

7. That Girl 10 March 2011 at 8:02 pm #

So much awesomeness in this post!

8. thecompletecookbook 11 March 2011 at 7:11 am #

Wow, what wonderful achievements – congratulations.
    🙂 Mandy

9. Jenn @leftoverqueen 11 March 2011 at 11:50 pm #

Congratulations Nina! This is such great news! 🙂 You deserve it!

10. Anonymous 8 May 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Ok, to a novice at cooking, should the chicken and lentils be cooked when adding it? What if I don't have tinned lentils?

11. Glenn 2 January 2013 at 2:11 am #

I love this recipe! It’s really swell and it feed the family pretty good. We have it down here in South Africa too! Thanks, and I hope, by chance, to see a show of yours. 🙂

12. Drienie Vermaak 24 October 2013 at 9:58 am #

I cook your Breyani recipe since you did it on Expresso, ( more than 2 yrs ago)it is always a winner. thanks Nina.

13. Janet Eltze 21 April 2015 at 8:51 am #

Would like to try this dish as love breyani where do I buy the Mecca Breyani Spice Mix from

• nerinatimm 26 April 2015 at 5:29 am #

Thx Janet, I always buy it at our local PnP! Good luck!

14. Rosalind Billson 1 September 2018 at 12:09 pm #

I have tried in vain to find Mecca Breyani Spice Mix. Went to 2 PnP no luck. I know this is an old recipe but would love to try it.

• nerinatimm 28 November 2018 at 4:34 pm #

It think your best option will be to google breyani mix and make your own. Sorry I cannot help more!