February 21, 2019

Mushroom Soup with Smoked Paprika for Meatless Monday

Posted on May 1, 2011 by in vegetarian

Mushroom Soup

I love using mushrooms in meatless dishes, because they bring a certain meatiness to the meal, so for those of us who are still carnivores by nature, are  fooled into eating a meal without meat.
Last year while developing a series of recipes for a company that grows exotic mushrooms, I was exposed to shiitake, portebello and oyster mushrooms and I must say, these mushrooms all have such unique flavors that it was a challenge, but a challenge that I enjoyed thoroughly.
I am still drooling over the delicious Red Wine Risotto with Pan fried Shiitake, not to mention the Fritata with exotic mushrooms I made for breakfast one Saturday morning. Having cooked with the exotic mushrooms, made it difficult for me to use ordinary button mushrooms again, but when I found a 1kg/2lbs bag lying at our market, I couldn’t resist. Because the button mushrooms have a such delicate flavor, I knew I had to partner it up with a zingy flavor and what better flavor to use in a comforting winter soup than smoked paprika. I have an imported paprika that a friends sent from Spain and not only does it have a very intense smokiness, but it has quite a bite too…just perfect.

Mushroom Soup

Mushroom Soup with Smoked paprika

1 kg/2lbs button mushrooms – or mixed if you are so lucky to have some
2 cloves of garlic – crushed
1 large onion – chopped finely
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
fresh thyme
olive oil
1 liter full milk
250gr cream
2 heaped tbsp cornflour
salt and pepper to taste
a squeeze of lemon juice

Mushroom Soup

Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth and slice. Heat a pot on the stove and add the olive oil. Saute the onions and garlic, thyme and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and brown. Mix the corn flour with a little water and add to the milk. Add the milk and cornflour mixture to the pot and allow to cook on a low heat until the soup has thickened. Just before serving, add the lemon juice, taste and season if it is needed. Add the cream and stir through. Serve with warm ciabatta and a good grinding of black pepper.

3. Mushroom Cheesas

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags:

13 Responses to “Mushroom Soup with Smoked Paprika for Meatless Monday”

1. vanillasugar 2 May 2011 at 1:32 am #

in all the mushroom soups & bisques i've made i've never thought to use smoked paprika. fabulous idea!

2. Junglefrog 2 May 2011 at 9:24 am #

Wonderful flavor combination!

3. That Girl 2 May 2011 at 7:15 pm #

And of course if you're my brother you believe that mushrooms have as much protein as a steak.

4. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 2 May 2011 at 10:29 pm #

I love mushroom soup any time of year! The addition of the smoked paprika sounds delicious.

5. thecompletecookbook 3 May 2011 at 7:34 am #

Fabulous recipe! Wonderful use of great flavours.
    🙂 Mandy

6. Corazon 3 May 2011 at 10:22 am #

wow!this is fantastic. i've been looking for another variation of this dish and now i found it. thanks for sharing.

7. redkathy 4 May 2011 at 3:27 am #

Hi Nina, I do believe this is the most delicious mushroom soup I've ever seen! No kidding and with the smoked paprika, out of this world!! Too bad it's so darn hot here, I'd make that for dinner tomorrow. Bookmarked for a more appropriate month, thanks!

8. myfrenchkitchen 4 May 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Mushrooms soup…always a winner in our home…looks delicious Nina, especially for your cool days which have apparently arrived!
    ronelle

9. Mary @Delightful Bitefuls 4 May 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Oh yum! This soup sounds heavenly! Bookmarked to try soon!

New to your blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

10. Ishay 8 May 2011 at 8:05 am #

Hey Nina. What heavenly delights you present! Scrumptious.

11. Kevin 12 May 2011 at 1:23 am #

Mushrooms and paprika are a great flavour combination especially in a soup!

12. Marisa 16 May 2011 at 10:11 am #

Perfection Nina! And now I'm craving some soup.

13. Bardine 9 June 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Hi Nina! Kry mens gerookte paprika by die gewone speserye in die supermark? Ek sien dit nooit daar nie. Jou foto’s is pragtig en die geregte smaak fantasties!