September 28, 2020

My Easy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe

Posted on May 5, 2011 by in baked goods

In October 2008, I posted a plea for a full proof lemon meringue recipe! Wow, I got recipes from all over the world, most of them basically the same recipe, but I did get some very unique versions of Lemon Meringue Pie.
Some even have grated cheese in the filling. I cannot say that I would like to try that one very soon, but through trial and error, I think I have worked out a recipe that works for me and most definitely also for hubby!
I made this recipe extra large, because one slice each will most certainly not impress my family. We had friends over for coffee and it was just such a heartwarming feeling for me to whip this baby from the oven, just in time for coffee. I must say that for me the perfect Lemon Meringue Pie will have a shortcrust pastry base, but hubby likes a crumb base and what hubby likes hubby gets so I had to convert. On second thoughts, I think the sweet crumbs create  quite a  lovely contrast with the tart lemon filling!

My Easy Lemon Meringue Recipe

For the crust

2 packets of Marie or digestive biscuits – crushed
125gr butter
3 tbsp golden or maple syrup
zest of 1 whole lemon

For the filling

3 tins of condensed milk
juice of 5 lemons
5 eggs – separated (use the whites for the meringue)
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp corn flour

For the Meringue Topping

5 egg whites
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour

Place the crushed biscuits is a bowl. Melt the butter and syrup together and add to the biscuit mixture. Add the lemon zest and mix roughly. Press the biscuits into a big tart dish and place in refrigerator to just set.

Method
Preheat oven to 170C
Mix 2 teaspoons of the cornflour with the lemon juice,  add to the condensed milk and allow to thicken.  Beat the egg yolks slightly and add to the milk mixture.

Pour the milk mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake for about 20 minutes. While it is baking, make the meringue topping. Mix the other 2 teaspoons cornflour with the caster sugar. Beat the egg whites until it starts to hold its shape. Add the caster sugar mixture spoon by spoon, beating well in between. When the mixture has stiff peaks, remove the tart from the oven and spoon the meringue on top. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the meringue has a golden color. Cool and serve!
There you have it: My foolproof  Lemon Meringue Recipe!

More sweet tasty tarts

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “My Easy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe”

1. redkathy 6 May 2011 at 6:08 am #

Hi Nina. Your display is beautiful as always!

I just adore lemon meringue pie but have yes NEVER made one. I don't know if it is the meringue or pie crust that scares me! Now this one, with your hubbies favorite crust, is perfect for me.

I see you add corn flour to meringue. Does corn flour make it easier to work with? Perhaps full proofs it?

2. Nina 6 May 2011 at 6:30 am #

Hi Kathy

This recipe is really full proof, the cornflour in the filling as well as the meringue stabilizes it so that their is no watery, slimey stuff between the two layers. Good luck!

3. Marisa 6 May 2011 at 12:36 pm #

This looks fantastic Nina! Ek is al lankal lus vir 'n lekker lemon meringue! Lyk baie soortgelyk aan 'n ou wenresep wat my ma het (nog Soenet van Egoli se resep wat in Huisgenoot was in die 90s – haha).

4. bellini 6 May 2011 at 3:02 pm #

Whenever I am asked what I want for my birthday I will inevitably say Lemon Meringue Pie. I have been searching for the perfect recipe to make myself.

5. That Girl 6 May 2011 at 7:40 pm #

I have to admit that "lemon meringue“ and "easy“ are not two concepts I would have thought worked together!

6. Anonymous 7 May 2011 at 9:44 pm #

i was wondering how much did the packets of biscuits weigh?

7. thecompletecookbook 8 May 2011 at 2:19 pm #

It's difficult to beat a good lemon meringue pie and a cuppa. I have not put zest in before – sounds fabulous.
    🙂 Mandy

8. cloe 8 May 2011 at 4:26 pm #

hey mom it's chloe that must've been the best lemon meringve I have ever seen because before I tasted that I hated it….????

he he

cloe-xox

9. elly 9 May 2011 at 4:54 am #

This looks delicious! I really like the sound of that crust. My husband is a big lemon meringue fan, but I've never made it myself. Now I have a recipe to try. 🙂

10. Kevin 12 May 2011 at 1:23 am #

That is one nice looking lemon meringue pie!

11. chocswirl 12 May 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Love your pics and LOVE lemon meringue pie! Looks delicious!

12. Fiverr clone 16 May 2011 at 9:08 am #

Thanks for the experiment. It was very informative and useful. I keep in mind. Thanks a lot for sharing such a awe-some information.
    Clone Script|
    Movies|

13. annetjie 8 November 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Nina, die hoeveelhede is te veel vir ons 2, kan ek dit halveer. Ons kan nie so n groot tert eet nie. Dankie

• nerinatimm 8 November 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Baie dankie, ek is seker die tert sal net so goed halveer!! Geniet dit en laat my weet hoe dit gegaan het!

14. Lorette 30 May 2014 at 1:16 pm #

Raai wat ek die naweek… Thank you for being my first port of call when looking for the best recipe. Dankie Nina!