July 23, 2019

An old favorite winter pudding – Sago Pudding

Posted on May 10, 2011 by in desserts

I love winter! I love the ongoing rain, the misty mornings, the smell of fireplaces burning when I go out at night to let the dog in for the night’s sleep. The smell of fresh pine needles, reminds me of my early childhood when we had long walks in the forest, hunting for pine nuts and I just love it when my nose go all numb and red from the cold.
Most of all I love winter for it’s soups, stews, pies and of course warm puddings…..
Tell me who can resist a simple Bread and Butter Pudding, a Peach and Plum Crumble or even a comforting bowl of Tapioca pudding. Certainly not me! As much as I like a warm baked dessert, I do not always like it straight after a meal, but later when everyone is having their after-lunch nap, I would  work my way to the kitchen and enjoy a bowl all on my own.(Maybe, I do have something in common with Nigella!) Sago pudding is most probably the cheapest and easiest winter pudding to prepare, but it has been a tradition in my family for as  long as I can remember and I am sure we are not the only people who love this dessert.

I never knew what the difference between sago and tapioca is, but I found this answer on “Ask Deeves”:
Whilst Sago is from the pith, or middle part, of the trunk of a Sago Palm (Metroxylon sagu), Tapioca comes from Cassava or Manioc (botanically Manihot esculenta), a popular tropical crop. A bit too technical for me, but what I do know is that sago needs a little longer to cook.

Sago Pudding

1 cup sago
1 liter milk
1 stick cinnamon
pinch of salt
3 tbs  sugar
2 eggs – separated  (keep whites for topping)
+ 2 tbsp caster sugar for topping
a little apricot jam(optional)

Method

Bring the milk, salt, sugar, cinnamon stick and sago to the boil and allow to simmer until the mixture thickens. Lightly beat the egg yolks and add to the mixture on the stove while stirring. Butter a baking dish and pour sago into the dish. Beat the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar, a little at a time, while still beating. Spoon the egg white over the sago pudding and bake for 20 minutes. If you wish and you really have a sweet tooth , you can add dollops of apricot jam on the sago before you cover it with the egg whites.
Serve with a thin vanilla custard or ice-cream!

Feast your eyes on these delicious Winter Desserts

Bread and Butter Pudding            Peach and Plum Crumble              Self-Saucing Chocolate Pud

13 Responses to “An old favorite winter pudding – Sago Pudding”

1. That Girl 11 May 2011 at 12:33 am #

I live reading about your excitement for winter when we are all over it here!

2. Fritz 11 May 2011 at 1:09 am #

I love sago pudding and winter! There is a typo in the method section, you are adding salt twice 🙂 Nice post

3. Jay 11 May 2011 at 2:12 am #

sounds perfect n delicious..:)
    Tasty Appetite

4. Anita 11 May 2011 at 9:07 pm #

Makes me think of my chilhood, which was just last year of course.

5. mycookinghut 12 May 2011 at 9:58 pm #

I love sago but have never used it this way!

6. Marisa 16 May 2011 at 9:42 am #

Thanks for sharing your recipe! My mom never made this, so am completely clueless myself. 🙂

7. Anonymous 7 July 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I am new to tapioca and sago,and i have made the pudding,yes great for winter,but i have bought a drink with soy milk,taro,and sago pearls,but the pears are the size of a pea,how do they get the pearls that large,please

8. Denise 16 August 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Any idea at what oven temp to bake the pudding…..recipe doesn’t say??

9. jay 13 April 2014 at 10:30 am #

usually preheat to 160 celsius in the reciepes I’ve seen so is that 325 F ?

• nerinatimm 14 April 2014 at 7:48 am #

10. Lindsey 18 June 2016 at 9:45 pm #

Looks real good! Thank you for sharing. Will be trying this method and adding stewed dried fruit on the top.Custard and cream will make it a great end to any meal.

11. Jacqueline Tillie 17 June 2017 at 2:07 pm #

Can you make the pudding beforehand and then pop into the oven just before serving

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Strawberry Sago Pudding - traditional with a twist. - My Easy Cooking - August 15, 2017

[…] already available, that I had to do something a little different. I think we all grew up with the traditional sago pudding, at least us Afrikaans folk. It is a winter special in most homes and the recipe on the back of the […]