November 12, 2019

Potato Latkes with Bacon and Guacamole

Posted on October 7, 2011 by in vegetables

Potato latkes, potato fritters, potato pancakes……what’s in a name? In the end, what matters is that the key ingredient is potatoes and I think I might have told you before……I LOVE POTATOES! I love it in any form, shape or size…..
I can rarely imagine a Sunday roast without roast potatoes on the side or what would our family BBQ be without the trusted old potato salad. Let’s not forget my absolute weakness, mashed potatoes. Soft, fluffy, lump-free with a subtle hint of freshly grated nutmeg and a generous knob of butter enough to put me in a state of total potato Nirvana. What is your favorite way of eating potatoes? Cooked, fried, boiled, mashed, sliced….let me know, maybe you can put a link to your favorite potato dish in the comments below and we share a little, making the potato circle bigger, bigger…….

While mashed potatoes make my knees wobble, the potato recipe that makes my children move to the kitchen at the speed of lightning is potato latkes or fritters. In principle, latkes and fritters are exactly the same thing( at least in some countries they are), latkes form part of the Jewish culinary tradition while fritters are normally any kind of food coated in batter and deep fried.

This recipe for Potato Latkes with Bacon and Guacamole is lazy, laid-back Saturday or Sunday food. You can hardly call “Boiling a potato” or “frying some bacon” work and if you are lucky enough to have an AirFryer, you can do both in under 10 minutes.  You can even boil your potatoes in advance and keep them in the refrigerator until needed.I really do hope that you will try this dish on Saturday morning. It is a fresh new idea for a breakfast and this simple dish delivers on all the important  elements, crunchy, soft, fluffy, warm and spicy.

Potato Latkes with Bacon and Guacamole

12 small potatoes – boiled in the skin
1-2 tablespoons flour
1 egg
2 spring onions
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt pepper

Peel the boiled potatoes and mash fine with a fork or use a potato ricer. Add all the other ingredients and mix through. Form a small patties and fry in shallow oil until they are all cooked and golden brown. Serve with fresh rocket, crispy bacon and a good dollop of spicy guacamole! Enjoy!

More Potato Recipes

Tags:

11 Responses to “Potato Latkes with Bacon and Guacamole”

1. bellini 7 October 2011 at 11:55 am #

Your latkes with a side of guac are a thing of beauty Nina. I just took photos for an upcoming post for latkes and I must say you have the knack to let even latkes look beautiful.

2. pinkpolkadotfood 7 October 2011 at 12:27 pm #

I love potatoes in any form!!! Beautiful styling and pics. Enjoy the weekend, Nins!

3. pinkpolkadotfood 7 October 2011 at 12:27 pm #

4. Jeanne 7 October 2011 at 2:37 pm #

I only have one question: Wen are you inviting me over for breakfast!! :o) Total sucker for all things potato, not to mention bacon!

5. That Girl 7 October 2011 at 3:40 pm #

I haven't met a potato I didn't love.

6. Marisa 12 October 2011 at 1:49 pm #

Love this as a breakfast idea – certainly beats my trusty bowl of morning oats hands down!

7. Rinat 13 October 2011 at 11:10 pm #

I had no idea latkes can look so good, i am sure they are tasty too.

Great photo and lovely serving suggestion
    Thanks

8. foodie @ Tasting Spot 20 October 2011 at 8:06 am #

i like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

9. Vi nam 25 October 2011 at 9:09 am #

My mother makes these every Christmas morning for a wonderful brunch with bacon and sausages. She adds caraway seeds to the potato pancake mixture which adds incredible flavor. She then frys them in the bacon fat. Then they are served hot, with butter on them along with the bacon and sausage. I'm sure the chlosterol in the dish is off the charts which is why we only indulge once a year!!!

10. Kevin 26 October 2011 at 4:29 am #

Crispy fried latkes and cool and creamy guacamole would be a great combo!

11. LadyRaven 20 December 2011 at 9:57 pm #

Haha latkes and bacon. Next it will be kichel with pork pate. Great post Nina and as always so pretty